Translating multilingual content can be once of the most beneficial things you do for your business operations. One of the most basic rules of writing is to know your audience. Because of this, preparing content for a global audience can be quite intimidating. That said, being mindful to a few best practices when preparing original text will help mitigate any challenges that might occur later on in the translation process. Combine this with the expert knowledge of your choice localization vendor, and you’ve got yourself a winning formula!
Preparing Content for a Global Audience Checklist:
- Use simple grammar and sentence structures.
- Avoid using slang, colloquial or idiomatic phrases.
- Keep sentences short and simple.
- Be consistent with your use of vocabulary by making the most of terminology glossaries. (Don’t start using “start button” halfway through a text if it already uses “on button” to describe the feature.)
- Be consistent with your writing style by using a style guide.
- Don’t forget to allow for text expansion.
- Avoid using acronyms, abbreviations, and symbols without providing an explanation or reference guide.
- Avoid using negative constructions. (Instead of “Don’t use application without first shaking,” use “Shake the application before each use.”)
- Simplify your text: make sure your original text is cleanly written, easy to understand, direct and succinct.
- Remember that different locations have different time and measurement standards. (2 pm or 14:00? Pounds or kilos?)
- Proofread, proofread, proofread!
By following these best practices, you will be providing your localization team with well-prepared texts. This not only alleviates any challenges or uncertainty for translators, it will also save you time and money in the long run. Translating multilingual content for your global audience will streamline your business operations and success. Quality results start to fall into place at the beginning, and this can begin with you!
If you’re interested in translation, localizing, or even if you just like to read the occasional blog, check out our website here.